“Hashtag Biotech” is a new weekly column in which OneMedPlace explores the power of Twitter and other social media tools in facilitating emerging growth company development. Technological innovation has revolutionized investment strategies in the public markets as well as at the strategic and institutional level. Information is disseminated at an unprecedented rate, a state which has created a double-edged sword to investors in various stages.
This column will identify trends and major players in this space, in an aim to give the reader a better understanding of how to leverage these tools and intelligibly sift through the white noise.
In our first social media column, we covered the best healthcare investment journalists using Twitter. In this edition, we introduce some distinguished, pointed, successful (and oftentimes hilarious) investors on Twitter. You will see some familiar names at some powerful institutions along with emerging brains in the field. This group made the cut because of their reputation, focus in relevant divisions of biotech and life sciences and tweet frequency.
Don’t forget to follow @OneMedPlace on Twitter! Check our feed for editorial updates and information about OneMedForumSF 2013, taking place January 7-9 at the Sir Francis Drake Hotel in San Francisco.
– Ambar Bhattacharyya, @AmbarBh – Vice President for Bessemer Venture Partners. Specializing in healthcare companies in their earlier stages. Based in Cambridge, MA. 1,431 followers
– Bruce Booth, @LifeSciVC – Partner in the Life Sciences group of Atlas Venture. Booth joined Atlas in 2005 and currently focuses on a range of biomedical technologies. Based in Cambridge, MA. Self-described early stage venture capitalist. 3,146 followers
– Jason Chew, @JasonCRG – Co-founder of Chimera Research Group, Chew has over ten years of experience in leading biotechnology companies. Based in Fort Lee, NJ. 829 followers
– Rockford Coscia, @RockyBIP – Founder of Biotech Investment Paradigm, a company focused on public biotechnology companies. Coscia has since moved to healthcare consulting. 1,508 followers
– John Doerr, @johndoerr – Investment Partner at Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers. Focuses on technology companies, dedicated to assisting entrepreneurs in creating innovative technology. 133,201 followers
– Mark Emalfarb, @Emalfarb – Founder of Dyadic International, Inc. Biotech entrepreneur in BioPharmaceuticals and Biofuels (before this, pioneer of stone washed jeans), investor in the biotechnology field. 10,418 followers
– Dr. Andre Goodwin, @BioDueDiligence – Senior Biomedical Analyst at Chimera Research Group, Goodwin has used his vast experience to help make logical and informed decisions in the biotechnology field. Based in Fort Lee, NJ. 2,107 followers
– Nathan Sadeghi-Nejad, @natesadeghi – Co-founder of PhoneFive, contributor to The Street and Forbes. 15 year healthcare industry veteran, most recently under Highside Capital, as a Sector Head. 1,470 followers
– David Sobek @dsobek – Ten year history as an investor world. Focuses on small companies with a particular interest in the biotechnology field. 994 followers
– Fred Wilson @fredwilson – Venture Capitalist since 1986. Specializing in technology companies as a Managing Partner at Union Square Ventures. 228,752 followers